ABOUT OUR VISION
Providing a Brand New Sporting Hub for Our Community
JOIN THE CAMPAIGN!
The Recreation Ground, which was gifted in the name of Arthur Nicholson, or the ‘Rec’ is at the heart of the village sporting activities being home to the tennis club, the bowls club as well as the cricket and stoolball clubs. In addition the ground is used on occasions by the school as well as other activities such as the Bidborough Cafe in the summer months.
However, the existing pavilion which was built in 1980 through the generous sponsorship of Herbert Cruickshank, is now looking a little dated and plans have now been formulated for a new building that can better suit those that utilise the pavilion.
The Parish Council and the Bidborough Sports Association are promoting the plans which have received planning permission and detailed building tender specifications are currently out to various construction firms such that we receive an appropriate number of valid tenders. Essentially the new building will stay in the same location but by utilising the spare ground to the left of the building as viewed from the church and by making use of the wasted space to the rear, it is possible to increase the floor area by over 70% and thus provide the following facilities:
* Two new changing rooms that meet minimum space requirements of the English Cricket Board and incorporate shower facilities within the room. This will make the facilities suitable for men, ladies and juniors and help with child protection issues.
* A toilet block that comprises gents, ladies and a designated disabled toilet as well as a particular toilet for the Bowls Club in their changing room.
* A new kitchen that runs along the side of the main frame and will provide hatch access to the veranda area.
* Much increased floor space that will provide room for entertaining teams and potentially provide space for fitness classes, meetings and possibly children’s parties
* Underfloor heating that will extend the use of the building for more of the year.